"The world is but a blank canvas to the imagination."
~Henry David Thoreau

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Animals/Nature

"The Cat"

I have a friend
Who sleeps each night
At the foot of my blue sea bed
She ventures to my pillow
To give a wet kiss
But is pushed back purring instead
I tell her I love her
Her soft, knowing gaze
Through Summer, Spring, and Fall
And when the Winter comes condemning
She seems to see it all
A cat can have
A merciless time
If no kindness from the world
Receives her for her selfless wantings
To listen, to accept
To cuddle and to curl


"Monk"

The mist crept in on kittens' feet
To sit within the trees
Icy claws to chill the blood
And creep up to our knees
A pearlish moon at us does grin
Tangled 'tween the twigs
An angel face to light the night
As monk his burrow digs
Drippy, dying trees are lame
They frame a starry sky
Reflected in the monk's gaze
Eyes of whom
His grave draws nye


"The Dove's Soliloquy"

A morning dove
I called to me
To bring with her
A soliloquy
She sang with words
That told a tale
So soft against
A night owl's wail
Each note was lifted
To the sky
A lovely tune
Above did fly
And as I stood
To hear her sing
My feet too lifted
To meet the ding
Of a silver voice
A bell in Spring


"Butterfly"

Flitting through a crystal sky
However far can beauty fly
Until its golden wings will rest
And bring to death our Nature's best?


"Teddy Bear"

We're here alone
My gentle friend
A dreary night
Without an end
You're fun to play with
Fun to touch
Glassy eyes
Wander too much
We share our desire
And through our dreams
Share the adventure
Or so it seems
"Lifeless legs cannot walk
No voice, cannot talk"
Try to ignore
But understand
Labeled "just from Dreamland"
No one listens
No one cares
A voice unheard
To everyone who stares
Thrown on the floor
Or thrown away
From the family
You thought might stay
And speak to you
And kiss your nose
And love you
From head to toes
But they left behind
Someone now scared
You find no one
Who really cared
They forget you
But you never will
You'll just remain
A moment's thrill
So here we are
Just you and me
Trapped in a hall
Of fantasy
Don't ever let go of
My hand
And let be
Everyone else
You are real to me


"The Huntress"

We set her free
An outdoor spirit
Never to be tamed
We watched her roam
Around the gardens
Searching for random game
Huntress, they called her
Devourer of souls
Born from the coaly earth below
Soft as stardust
Dark as the night
Quiet as the whispering willow blows
Be careful, we warned them
Don't look in vain
At fleeing for your life
Our huntress will come
And take you away
With claws as slick as a knife
Atop the hills
Beneath the hedge
Within the baby ferns below
Around the house
Balancing a plank
As a hellish pirate's prisoner goes
The day is now done
She returns to us from
Her jungle world outside
The rabbits sleep
The birds nestle in
The littles run and hide
And I too sleep
With the Huntress tonight
A cat purring on my bed
Who could've stayed out
To delight in more hunting
But chose my company instead


"The Midnight Storm"

I walk on by
Houses dark
A midnight sky
Why did they go
Trying to fight
This sleet and snow?
I watch
Pools of rain
Gather at my feet
Misty fog
Makes a thick sheet
Snow is all around
The soft blanket
Hugs icy ground
Battering the windows and
Drowning out sleep
The rain has drenched me
As I creep
Towards the only light
I call in the wind
"Is anyone there?"
My mind is suddenly
Filled with fear
I know there is nothing
To keep me warm
No one is here
Because of
The Midnight Storm


"Silver Prairie"

A jewel amidst
The starry night
The moon is beaming
In radiant light
Is masked by clouds
That gaze below
To silvery sage
By rolling meadow
Snakes dissolve
Beneath the rocks
Gathered beside
The river docks
A stallion runs
The ribbon of light
Meeting once more
The deepest night


"A Longer Fall"

A moon hangs there in endless sky
It looms above the prairie, dry

We grope for that, the only light
that now is cloaked in deepest night

A hurried widow cracks the bark
devoured by the gathered dark

Attempt to catch the leaves astray
that try to touch the coming day

Thirsty tree digs in the grass
Shall longer Fall heed no pass?


"Winter"

My head rests on Winter's shoulder
Pure white, getting colder
Colder are the days that pass
Winter has stained the dirty glass
Has laid down its icy mass
And stung my cheeks with frost
Now we touch
My hand and your hand
We shall spread beauty
Across the land
The beauty of gentle snowflakes falling
I can hear the cold voice calling
"Winter will soon come again"

No comments:

Post a Comment